Sunday, December 26, 2010

Back to the shed






Back to the shed. This is a view of one of the benches that fit along both sidewalls. I don’t know about you, but I seem to be able to fill all available space with something before too long. I try to tell my friends that “If you have not used it in the last 6 months, you don’t need it”. Fortunately, I never take my own advise and continue to find tubes of bedding compound that are solid because they have been there for years, bits of sandpaper that have absolutely no use, and pieces of wood that I just know I will need someday. 

Even with these benches, I had to build more. No, not because I got more junk, but because I had to build very large parts, like main strength bulkheads, centerboard box, centerboard, etc. Think of it, bulkheads 23 feet long and 7 feet high. Made out of many parts, all have to be epoxied, assembled in the right order and then fastened down till the epoxy cures. You need lots of space for this operation. 

Speaking of space. If I can only convince you about only one thing…make sure you have lots of space. There is nothing worse then to have to work in cramped quarters. I was very fortunate in this building venture, to have lots of free space around my work area. It was a little tight above the boat, as you will see later, but for the most part, I loved the extra space. 


No comments:

Post a Comment