Sunday, December 26, 2010

Main strength bulkheads






See, what did I tell you. Not one but two benches 30 feet long. To support the bottom of the bulkheads, I had to build temporary extensions on the benches. When the bulkheads come off…Hey, more places to put stuff. 

The main strength bulkheads are made from KD, S4S dimensional fir lumber. The number 4 bulkhead is skinned with 3/8-fir plywood and the number 8 bulkhead is skinned with ¼ inch fir plywood. The interior structure is epoxied and fastened to one skin. After that has had time to cure, the other skin is epoxied and applied to the top surface. To foil any would be thieves; I painted my wife’s name, my two boys names, and my name on the inside surface of both bulkheads. Only I know in what section they are located. I figured if I had to identify my boat, this would be a novel way. 

If you look closely, you will see very little structure on the top of the bulkhead and not a lot more on the bottom. Because the bulkheads are designed to have tremendous strength in only one direction, you have to be very careful in handling them. You can not pick them up from the ends, but must always stand them up and make sure they do not bend in the middle. 


No comments:

Post a Comment