Sunday, December 26, 2010

Triangle Road






Well, here we are, Triangle Road. This is a boat building community that had been active for about 20 years when I arrived. There were 22 sheds in the yard, and the most diverse group of individuals that you could ever imagine. Each one would be a story in themselves. 

Some people lived in their sheds, some came to work on their boats every day, some came on the weekends, and some never came. Conditions were very different from what I had been accustomed to. 

One outdoor portable toilet, for the whole yard, and it was a mess. The seat was broken, the wall was broken, and the part that held the seat was coming away from the wall. Would I fall in? How do people stand for this? At least it was emptied occasionally. 

Power was interesting. One panel for the whole yard. Everyone just ran a wire from the panel to their shed. Some under the road, some over the road. Whatever worked. There were no regulations. You need power, you hook up. Fire hazard, you have no idea. When it rained, the panel got soaked because it was in the “Mast Shed”. This was a building about 50 feet long that the whole yard had access to for long projects, like masts, etc. Since this shed belonged to no one, no one fixed it. The roof leaked, the walls were falling down, the floor was mostly gone, but people still used it by putting plastic up over their work. If the Hydro guys saw this panel, they would have ripped out the power right then and there. 

I was on the opposite side of the yard, so my power had to cross the road. Rather then go over the road, the power was laid under the road, in a piece of plastic hose. Every once in a while, the hose would get wet inside, the power line would blow up and I would be with out power till I fixed it. I measured the power only once. It was so low; I don’t know how stuff worked half the time. I measured 90 volts at the plugs in the shed. It was murder on the power tools. 


No comments:

Post a Comment