Sunday, December 26, 2010

Rudder skeg






Since I did not install the rudder skeg while the main hull was upside down, I now have to install it from the bottom up.



I dug a hole deep enough to lower the skeg down to clear the bottom of the boat. Then cut a hole from the inside of the boat and lifted the skeg up till it fit snug.

I had to use ropes to hold it in place while I built the support structure inside the hull. Most of the work I did by myself and I used ropes often as an extra pair of hands.

The skeg and rudder are built together. They consisted of one layer of ½ plywood for a core and then one layer of 1 by material laminated to each side. You shape the underwater section of the rudder and skeg and then cut them apart. 

I used the 34 Searunner rudder and skeg arrangement and the 34 Searunner keel as well. Since the 34 was designed later, there were a few improvements to the underwater shapes that I thought I would incorporate in my 37.


No comments:

Post a Comment