Sunday, December 26, 2010

Gunter






Here are the two main strength bulkheads, finished and stored till I need then later. They are epoxy coated on the outside and painted with a temporary coating to protect the epoxy from the sun. 

In the foreground, you will see a workbench and a couple of centerboards. I had the great fortune to watch a master craftsman work on his boat in my shed. Are you beginning to think my shed is the temporary home of all wayward boatbuilders who might be looking for a place of their own. 

While Gunter was waiting for a shed to come open in the yard, he started to do some of the small parts on his Kurt Hughes designed catamaran. Now Gunter is German, a tool and die maker and he sure knows a thing or two about building things. I watched him build two of the most beautiful centerboards imaginable. They were identical, down to a tolerance of 1/32 of an inch. He would spend hours and hours making sure they were just right. Was all the care necessary? For Gunter it was. That is his level of craftsmanship, no matter what he is doing. I don’t think I could have devoted that much effort myself.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment