Saturday, December 25, 2010

Impressions




I had a two-burner hot plate, microwave, couple of pots, teakettle, and a few plates and bowls. I was set. My propane stove was installed but not hooked up yet. Too bad.

I soon became a fixture in the yard. Living aboard, working on my boat when I had some money, meeting and greeting the yard regulars and forming friendships. 

Living in a boat yard is an experience that is not for everyone. There are many hardships and lack of conveniences. I do not think most women would stand for it. There were a couple of couples who were refitting their boats, but they were long time sailors and cruisers and remained apart from the rest of the crowd. It was mostly guys. Some down on their luck and looking for a cheap place to live, some with that far off look in their eyes, the look of the tropics. Some building works of art, some building the most outrageous contraptions you could ever imagine. I loved it.

There was always a lively discussion going on in the pub every night. Why cement is the best boat building material, how to hook up hydraulic steering, what to use for standing rigging, on and on. I don’t think there was a subject that was not covered again and again. You could get information and help with anything that concerned boats. 

I have very fond memories of this time of my life. If the opportunity presented itself, I would not hesitate to repeat my couple of years at Shelter Island Marina


No comments:

Post a Comment