Sunday, December 26, 2010

Port underwing forward







This is the same view, with the lower wing deck leading edge attached. The plans call for 3/8 plywood for the underwing, including the forward section. 



There have been some instances where a boat has been overloaded and going to windward hard, this curved section has been pounded severely by waves and has cracked.

One recommendation was to strengthen this forward section.

I did two things here to improve the strength of the forward section. The first thing I did was to use two layers of ¼ plywood instead of one layer of 3/8. I did this only on the forward section and not on the whole underwing.

The second thing I did was to install transverse stringers from the cabin side to the float side on the inside of the curve. I used two 2 X 2 stringer spaced equal distance front to rear of the curve only.



No comments:

Post a Comment