Sunday, December 26, 2010

Desk





And I had to have a desk. How could I do all my stuff without a desk? I guess I will build a closet while I am at it. 

This little apartment I constructed on the back of my shed was 16 feet wide by 16 feet long. Half was the bedroom and office, the other for kitchen and bath. 

I thought It would be good to insulate the bedroom so I could use a small amount of energy to keep me warm. I used 4-inch insulation on all walls and the ceiling. I covered the insulation with clear plastic. I would have liked to use something more decorative, but clear plastic was all I had. 

You may notice a small kerosene boat stove on the back wall. The first night I was to stay in my new apartment, I cranked up the stove to take the chill off and then turned it down to its lowest setting. I climbed into bed and turned off the lights. Wow, the stoves little window in the front cast a nice warm glow around the room and all was well with my world. 

I woke up a couple of hours later and I was swimming in my bed. The temperature in the room was over 100 degrees. What the hell was going on! Was the shed on fire? Where was all this heat coming from? You guessed it, from the tiny little heater. I guess a boat heater, designed to keep a 30 or 40-foot boat warm and dry in the winter, is a little too much for an 8 by 16-foot room with tons on insulation in the walls. 

After that, I heated the room nicely with a small electric heater and a small fan. 


No comments:

Post a Comment