Sunday, December 26, 2010

Stringers stern






Here is a view of the stringer installation from the stern. The large stringer near the bottom of the hull (actually top) is a backing strip for plywood panels to join on, a continuous butt block. 

The plywood skin on a Searunner is made up of three main sections. The bottom of the boat is ¾ inch, the first chine is ½ inch, and the sides are 3/8 inch. This sometimes makes for interesting joining efforts at the chines and at the bow. 

All plywood used for the outside skin was coated on the inside with epoxy before installation. The first piece I coated, I used a roller and just spread it on. After it had cured, I discovered a very uneven surface, of very hard epoxy. I knew if I painted this surface with any kind of shinny paint, I would see every lump and bump. As this was to be the inside of the boat, this would not do. I tried to sand this piece of wood smooth, but this was going to go on forever. Best to just use it for something that will not be visible. 

I then tried to brush on the epoxy. A bit better, but more wood for non visible spots. I then just poured it on the wood and spread it around with a squeegee. This gave me a nice smooth coat and very few visible marks after it had cured. All the rest of the interior skin was coated this way. 


No comments:

Post a Comment