Sunday, December 26, 2010

Main hull frames bow






I've done it again. Built another “strongback”. I had to produce another one for the main hull frames. Wow, this one was done on an uneven floor. I thought I was good to do the first one on a cement floor that was level. This shed has a sand floor with ¼ inch plywood on top of the sand. This was a whole different ballgame to get this one level. 

The Searunner plans give you full size drawings of all the important parts. It is relatively easy to trace them on to a piece of plywood, using nails, and a batten, and then cut them out. Also on the drawings, are all your lines and points for alignment and set up. 

I marked the centerline on all the strongback cross pieces. Then I marked each frame with a horizontal line, that was indicated on the plans, across the bottom of the frame. This line was responsible for my vertical height of each frame. All frames had a vertical line from top to bottom of the frame. This centerline of the frames was my guideline for my fore and aft alignment. 

Now all I had to do was screw each frame into the strongback, making sure all the lines met at all the right places. 

By the way, do you use dry wall screws? Dry wall screws are the cheapest, easiest, throw away screws you can buy. Once I started using dry wall screws, I never used another nail. You can get fine or course thread. The course threads are the greatest for woodworking. They are very sharp, easy to start, Phillips drive, and cheap.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment