Saturday, December 25, 2010

Windows




Another dilemma. What to do about the windows? On the Searunner series, Jim Brown suggests an H shaped channel around the window frame and then insert a locking strip. I am sure this is a great method and very secure and waterproof. Unfortunately, I could not find a supplier for the H channel, so had to come up with something else.

I looked at a number of boats around the yard and marinas. Most had frames around their windows. Frames made out of aluminum. Since most were production boats, that made sense. I could not find any frames that would fit my application, so the standard frame idea was out. Custom frames were available, but at a very high price

A couple of boats had their windows bolted on. I noticed that a few of the bolts had cracks around them and they were leaking through the cracks in the material. In conversations with boat owners, I learned that you have to be very careful not to tighten too hard, or you will produce these cracks. Also, some cracks will appear after a few years and then you have to try to keep ahead of the leaks. As Jim said “There is nothing worse then a wet berth.”

There are a lot of new adhesives on the market, so I decided to try to glue the windows on. After lots of mock-ups and experiments, I went with 3M 5200 polyurethane adhesive. Wow, what a fantastic idea this turned out to be. Many years later, no cracks, no leaks, and the windows are as solid as they were on the first day.

One word of caution. If you make a mistake in mounting the windows, and the 5200 has cured, you have a very tough time in removing them.


No comments:

Post a Comment